Miso salmon with sesame red cabbage! A tasty and healthy nutrient packed meal that can be prepared the night before! !
I’ve been slightly obsessed with miso lately. I just love the, salty, savoury umami flavour it adds! I like to add it to stir fries, quinoa, soups or just add it to water and drink it as a warm miso broth.
This miso salmon with sesame red cabbage is one of my favourite meals at the moment. It requires a little bit of planning as the salmon needs to marinate for at least 1 hour, and the cabbage needs shredding, but that’s about as much effort you need to put in to this dish!
Not only do I love salmon as it’s a very tasty fish, I also love it because it’s very good for you! As you may know, salmon is a very good source of omega-3, and omega-3 is very important for general health! For example, omega-3 is anti-flammatory, keeps your blood flowing and is also believed to play an important role in eye health! It’s also good for your skin, keeping it healthy and supple! So here you have a few good reasons to eat salmon if it’s delicious taste it not enough to convince you.
As I mentioned before the salmon needs to marinate for at least one hour, but can be left to marinate overnight. The beauty with leaving it overnight to marinate is that when you want to eat it the following day all you need to do is to pop it in the oven for 10 minutes (give or take 1 or 2 minutes) and then your dinner is done. Perfect for a Friday night after a week of hard work! Prepare this fish on Thursday night and on the Friday all you need to do is cook it of! It’s the perfect meal to start your weekend with. It’s tasty and super easy to make.
The cabbage can be prepared the night before too. If you like your cabbage crisp, leave the marinade and pour it over just before serving. If you don’t mind your cabbage slightly softer, you can add the marinade the night before!
If you want this meal to be more hearty, you can add rice to this miso salmon!
- 300 g salmon (two salmon fillets 150 g each)
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 150 g cabbage, shredded.
- 1.5 tbsp sesame oil
- 1.5 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 0.5 light soy sauce (tamari for GF)
- 0.5 tbsp honey
- Sesame seeds
- Coriander (Cilantro)
- Spring onions (Scallions)
- Combine miso, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey and water in a bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Place salmon in a plastic bag and pour marinate over it. Leave to marinate minimum 1 hour or overnight.
- When you choose to cook the salmon, preheat the oven to 200°C / 392°F. Cook the salmon for 8-10 minutes, or until flakey.*
- Take out and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Combine sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and honey in a bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour over the shredded cabbage and mix.
- Serve cabbage salad with salmon and sprinkle a few sesame seeds and fresh coriander before serving.