Kale Pear Pomegranate Salad with Chévre. A salad packed with nutrients and flavours! This salad is a beautiful addition to the Christmas table.
Kale is something I eat all year around, but I tend to eat more kale during Christmas, as kale is something I associate with Christmas food. I love making big salads with kale with different kinds of fruits and other toppings for Christmas. And this kale pear pomegranate with chévre is one of my favourites at the moment.
It’s so simple, beautiful and easy to make.
To make this salad, you start with massaging the kale, so it gets softer and more tender. It’s also good to leave it to marinate for a few minutes before eating it, as this will make it even softer. Whilst the kale is left to its own devices, you can start preparing the rest of the ingredients such as getting the seeds out from the pomegranate, cutting the pear, slicing the onion and tear the chévre.
Pomegranate can be quite juicy, so to prevent the pomegranate seeds from bleeding all over the salad, place the seeds on a piece of kitchen roll before adding them to the salad. This will soak up most of the juices from the pomegranate and you will keep the colours separated in the salad.
And as it’s christmas time I like to slice the pear into whole round slices so you get that beautiful star pattern from where the seeds have been. It gives it that extra touch of Christmas. But that’s a matter of aesthetics. You can slice the pear however you want.
This kale pear pomegranate salad with chévre holds well in the fridge and can be prepared the night before. If you’re making it ahead though, slice the pears and add them just before serving as they will oxidise once cut and can look a little bit brown and dull.
Also, even though I like to make this for Christmas, this salad is a winner all year around!
- 150 g kale ( I used tuscan kale)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A squeeze from a lemon
- 1 pear
- 0.5 shallot
- 100 g chevre (just a guideline; add as much you find fit)
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Remove the stalk from the kale and chop into smaller pieces.
- Add oil, lemon and a little bit of salt and massage into the kale.
- Leave to soften for 10 minutes.
- Whilst kale is softening, slice the shallot and pear. Chop or tear the chevre in smaller pieces.
- Combine the kale and half the shallots and place in a bowl then arrange all the rest of the ingredients on top however your artistic side pleases. Enjoy!
This Kale Pear Pomegranate Salad with Chévre is
- Gluten free and vegetarian
- Rich in vitamin A, C and K
- Good source of folate
- Rich in dietary fibre