A warming winter garlic roasted beets and chickpea salad! Nourishing and delicious!
A few weeks ago I learnt that January is also Veganuary! Veganuary is if you’ve missed it, its a month that encourages you to go vegan for the whole of January. Even though I’m not doing veganuary, I enjoy eating vegan food so today I’m brining you a vegan recipe.
As it’s winter right now, I tend to eat more warm food. But I also tend to crave salad, so this salad is a good compromise; slightly warm due to the roasted beets but this has the freshness of a salad. Problem solved.
This garlic roasted beets and chickpea salad is super easy to prepare! Roast your beets, julienne the carrots, pick the parsley leafs, slice the shallot and add chickpeas and spinach to the salad. Make the vinaigrette, pour over and you’re DONE!
If you’re doing veganuary and need some inspiration for some other vegan recipes, or if you simply just want to try out some other amazing recipes, check out these
Cauliflower Steaks with Peanut Sauce – One of my absolute favourite recipes on the blog!
Vegan hot dogs – These are seriously better than the real deal! And you’ll never guess what they’re made of!
Chili Garlic Sweet Potato Comfort Bowl – Who said comfort foods cannot be healthy? I’ve been eating this loads this winter!
Coconut Roasted Carrots and Puy Lentil Salad – A warm salad that’s perfect for the colder months
These are some of my favourite vegan recipes!
Happy vegan cooking all, vegan and non vegans alike!
- 300 g beetroots (about 6-7 beets)
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g cooked chickpeas (one tin)
- Good handful of flat leaf parsley
- Spinach (as much as you want)
- 1 small banana shallot, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 40 g (1/4 cup) toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dijon
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Peel and quarter your beets. Take the garlic cloves and smash them (you can keep the skin on)
- Place the beets and smashed garlic on a lined baking tray. Drizzle olive oil and massage into the beets and garlic so they're all covered in oil. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until soft. Give the beets a stir a couple of times during baking.
- Once the beets are done, make the salad by combining spinach, parsley, chickpeas, shallot, carrot and toasted seeds. Drizzle with vinaigrette and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, whisk until combined.
Recipe adapted from HealthTrackNutrition