Start your day with these fluffy buckwheat and rice flour pancakes! Naturally gluten free, easy to make and utterly delicious!
Growing up, I usually would have had thin, crepe like pancakes at home. But from time to time, my parents used to make these american style pancakes, made with yogurt and they were absolutely heavenly!
I had a craving the other day for these pancakes and wanted to make them gluten free. First I tried making them only with buckwheat… And it was nice, but it was not right. I found that buckwheat on it’s own gave the pancakes a slightly dense yet crumbly feeling, and not fluffy and airy as I remembered them. So I went back to the drawing board.
When I made the next batch, I added rice flour to it, and that did the trick! It resulted in a pancake that was fluffy, airy and light!
Just the way I want my pancake!
These pancakes are really easy to make. You only need 7 ingredients which can usually be found in any local food shop and takes about 20 minutes to make these, from start to finish! They are very filling too, and will give you the energy you need to keep you going!
And when you make these, you want to flip them over when they look like the picture below, when the surface has started to bubble.
These fluffy buckwheat and rice flour pancakes are great together with fresh berries, bananas and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup! Or you can serve these pancakes with a chia jam if you want!
Also, these fluffy buckwheat and rice flour pancakes reheat well if you get any left overs! The best way to reheat these are straight back in the pan. They will get slightly more crispy (big bonus!) on the outside but still be nice and fluffy on the inside!
- 70 g (1/4 cup) rice flour
- 60 g (1/4 cup) buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 egg
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) yogurt
- Combine rice flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine egg and yogurt.
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until blended.
- Fry the pancakes in a little bit of oil/butter in a pancake pan/frying pan on medium heat for about 50 seconds, or until you see the upper surface start to slightly bubble, then flip them over and cook until nice and golden on both sides.
- Enjoy with toppings of your choice.