Start your day with these fluffy buckwheat pancakes! They are naturally gluten free, incredibly light and dreamingly fluffy!
Growing up, I would have had thin, crepe like pancakes at home. But from time to time, my parents used to make these american style pancakes that are made with yogurt and they were are the BEST!
They had the right fluff to they, they were light and they soaked up the juices from the juices without getting soggy! Sound almost to good to be true?
I had a craving the other day for these pancakes and wanted to make them gluten free! First I tried making them only with buckwheat… And it was nice, but… I found that buckwheat on it’s own gave the pancakes a slightly dense yet crumbly feeling, and not fluffy and airy as I remembered them. So back to the drawing board.
When I made the next batch, I added rice flour to it, and BINGO! It resulted in a pancake that was fluffy, airy and light!
I was so happy with the result, but I had to make sure that they were good so I made them again, again and again… just to be sure that they were good enough 😉
The recipe for these is foolproof! You only need 7 ingredients, which of all can usually be found in any local food shop! It takes about 20 minutes to make these, from start to finish! They are very filling too, and will give you the energy you need to keep you going for the rest of the day!
As you cook the pancakes, the surface will start to bubble. That’s when it’s time to flip them over !
These fluffy buckwheat pancakes are great together with fresh berries, fruits, bananas and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup! Or you can serve these pancakes with a chia jam if you want!
Also, these fluffy buckwheat pancakes reheat well if you get any left overs! The best way to reheat these are straight back in the pan. They will get slightly more crispy (big bonus!) on the outside but still be nice and fluffy on the inside!
Look at that! Is that a fluffy pancakes or what?
- 70 g (1/2 cup) rice flour
- 60 g (1/2 cup) light buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 egg
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) plain natural yogurt
- Combine rice flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine egg and yogurt.
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until blended.
- Fry the pancakes in a little bit of oil/butter in a pancake pan/frying pan on medium heat for about 50 seconds, or until you see the upper surface start to slightly bubble, then flip them over and cook until nice and golden on both sides.
- Enjoy with toppings of your choice.