Egg Pancake with kimchi and smoked salmon, finished with sprouted mung beans and coriander! An unexpected combination of flavours that work great together! Enjoy it as a protein rich breakfast or as a light dinner!
All I can say about this recipe is that it’s incredibly delicious! A thin omelette filled with kimchi, smoked salmon, bean sprouts, coriander and a sprinkle of chili flakes! It might sound like a weird combination, but trust me, it works!
Ever since making my sweet potato fries with sriracha sauerkraut (my version of a faux kimchi) and coriander, I’ve been hooked on the combination of kimchi (or sriracha sauerkraut) and coriander!
This breakfast is truly a good meal. It has plenty of protein from both the eggs and the salmon, which will keep you full for longer! The salmon also adds a good dose of the anti-inflammatory fatty acid omega-3, which is also good for keeping your skin supple and healthy. But the big hero in this dish the kimchi!
Kimchi is as you may know a traditional korean dish. It’s made by fermenting vegetables, such as napa cabbage and daikon, together with chili (and some other ingredients). It has an amazing flavour, slightly spicy and sour, but the best thing with kimchi is it’s health benefits! Fermented foods such as kimchi and sauerkraut are good for your digestive system, as they are probiotics.
Probiotics are live bacterias that are beneficial for your gut flora. By eating fermented foods you are feeding your gut with good bacterias (probiotics) that can support overall health! It can improve your immune system and your digestion, and may also improve your mood, to name a few health benefits!
This egg pancake with kimchi and smoked salmon has a plenty of good fats and protein from the eggs and salmon, a good dose of probiotics to keep your gut happy and sprouts, which are small nutrition powerhouses! This meal is fairy low carb, but if you want to add some carbohydrates to it some rice or quinoa is a lovely addition.
You can turn this egg pancake into a wrap by rolling it in greaseproof paper and have it on the go! This meal can be enjoyed as breakfast as well as a light lunch or dinner!
- 0.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 eggs
- Small handful of kimchi (about ⅓ cup or as much as you want)
- 2-3 slices of cold smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp mayonnaise (optional)
- ⅓ cup of mung bean sprouts
- Coriander (as much as you want)
- 0.5 tbsp sesame seeds
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Heat up a large frying pan and add the coconut oil.
- Mix the eggs with a fork in a bowl with a little bit of water and a pinch of salt until combined. Pour into the frying pan that's about 20 cm / 7.8 inches in diameter. You want the egg pancake to be about 3 mm thick.
- Fry on medium-high heat for a minute or two. As the pancake is thin there should not be a need to flip it over.
- Once the egg pancake is done, combine salmon and kimchi (and mayonnaise if you want) and place it on the pancake.
- Top of with mung beans, coriander, sesame seeds and chili flakes.
*You want the frying pan to be large to make the egg pancake to be as thin as possible so you don't need to flip it.
*I prefer to cook my egg pancake in coconut oil as I find it makes the pancake crispy and the flavour goes well with the rest.
*If you're making many portions, fry each egg pancake separately instead of making an omelette.
*I like to add a little bit of mayonnaise to my kimchi, as I find that it intensifies the flavours. 1 tsp is plenty. A little goes a long way in this dish.