Cold smoked salmon cocktail with avocado cream, a rendition of a retro dish! A great starter for New Year’s Eve!
Prawn cocktail is a truly a retro dish. Even though it’s not as popular these days (or maybe it is?), I still think that a prawn cocktail has its time and place.
But today is not the time and this is not the place for the prawn cocktail.
Today it’s time to put a rendition of this classic dish in the spotlight! Say hello to the cold smoked salmon cocktail with avocado cream!
This cocktail is nothing like the classic one. First of all, it has cold smoked salmon (duh). Secondly, it has an asian theme going on, with the avocado cream having chili, lime and garlic in it. The salmon is combined with mango, chili, coriander (cilantro for anyone across the pond!), lime juice and cucumber. The cucumber is what really makes this dish special, as it adds that fresh crispiness to the dish, but it also cuts the heat from the chili so it’s not overpowering, but the heat is still there in the dish.
This cold smoked salmon cocktail with avocado cream is light, fresh and deep in complex flavours. It’s easy to make and is gluten free, dairy free and nut free, making it suitable for most!
If you like chili and spiciness, you can add a little bit more chili than stated in the recipe. Remember though, don’t go too wild as you want to keep that balance between spicy, sweet, and fresh in this dish!
- 80 g cold smoked salmon, chopped into smaller pieces
- ½ mango, cubed
- ⅛ of a cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cubed (about ⅓ cup)
- ½ chili, finely chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 0.5-1 tbsp oil (an oil with neutral taste or a very mild olive oil)
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled and stone removed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- zest of ⅓ lime
- 1.5 tbsp neutral oil
- 0.5 thai red eye chili (more or less depending on how much you like chili)
- ¼ tsp honey
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Combine salmon, mango, cucumber, oil and coriander in a bowl. Add lime juice and salt. Taste. Add more salt or lime juice to taste.
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt (or chili) if needed
- Assemble the cocktail by placing the avocado cream on the bottom of a cocktail glass and place the salmon on top.
This Cold Smoked Salmon Cocktail with Avocado Cream is
- Good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, important for the brain and for your skin
- Rich in monounsaturated fats, important for cardiovascular health
- Good source of vitamin B3, B5, B6 and folate!
- Good source of fibre. Avocado is a good source of fibre and one portion of this dish provides around 6 g of fibre!
- Gluten free, dairy free and nut free!