Chili Garlic Sweet Potato Comfort Bowl with roasted sweetcorn, black beans, cauliflower rice and avocado cream! Comfort healthy bowl food at its best!
Bowl food is one of my favourite things to eat. You know, food you eat with a spoon, from a bowl that’s not soup! There it something really enjoyable with food you can eat with a spoon. It’s easy and comforting.
And with the colder weathers we’re experiencing at the moment, I’m craving this kind of food even more. But I also want something nourishing and fresh.
That’s where this chili garlic sweet potato comfort bowl comes into play. It’s the perfect meal when you want something comforting, yet healthy and satisfying.
To make this garlic chili roasted sweet potato comfort bowl, you start with roasting sweet potato and sweet corn in plenty of garlic and a little bit of red chili, until soft and slightly browned.
Then you need to make a sauce, as a comfort bowl is not complete without a sauce.
So what goes better with sweet potatoes than an incredibly creamy avocado sauce made with plenty of parsley, coriander, lime and jalapeno. You cannot go wrong with sweet potato and avocado.
What’s left to do after roasting the veg and making the sauce is to make cauliflower rice, by grating the uncooked cauliflower. I prefer to keep the cauliflower rice raw, as it adds bite and a nice texture to this comfort bowl.
Then all you need to do is to add some black beans, a handful of spinach, a few slices of red onion and maybe a few slices of jalapeno (if you like it extra spicy!) and some fresh coriander and your chili garlic sweet potato comfort bowl is ready to be enjoyed!
With a spoon of course.
- Chili Garlic Roasted Sweet Potato and Sweet Corn
- 1 large (370 g) sweet potato, peel and diced into dice sized pieces (about 3 cups diced)
- 1 red chili, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 125 g (3/4 cups) sweet corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 10 g (1/2 cup) parsley
- 10 g (1/2 cup ) coriander (cilantro)
- ½ jalapeno, seeds and white rind removed.
- ½ shallot, minced (about 1.5 tbsp)
- 1 garlic glove
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice (about 1-2 limes, depending on how juicy they are)
- 2-3 tbsp water.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ head cauliflower, grated.
- 250 g (1.5 cup) cooked black beans
- 80 g spinach
- Red onion, sliced
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Preheat the oven to 200°/ gas mark 6
- In a bowl, combine the sweet potato, sweet corn, chili, garlic, olive oil and salt.
- Place in an ovenproof dish or on a lined oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. If the potatoes are still hard, roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whilst the sweet potato is baking start making the avocado dressing.
- Scoop out the flesh from the avocado. Place it in a food processor together with herbs, shallot, garlic, jalapeno and 1 tbsp lime juice. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more lime juice if needed to adjust for acidity. Add water to make it slightly more loose if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the bowl by dividing the roasted sweet potato, sweet corn, cauliflower rice, black beans and spinach into the serving bowls. Finish with a generous dollop of avocado dressing and jalapeno, red onions and coriander.