A warming celeriac and apple soup with smoked salmon. Perfect for cold winter evenings!
Celeriac is one of the vegetables you might feel a little bit intimidated to cook with, as it looks quite monstrous! But celeriac is truly an absolutely lovely vegetable to cook with and eat, and with it’s slightly nutty, mild celery flavour, it’s a beautiful accompaniment to roasted meats, stews, and other hearty meals. It’s also lovely to roast whole or pan fry slices of also it’s wonderful to make a mash with too!
And lets not forget it’s great to make a soup with too! And today I’m sharing this recipe for a celeriac and apple soup with smoked salmon.
Celeriac is, for you who don’t know, the root of the celery! They can be rather big, and I find that they usually weight around 1 kg (2lb) and upwards, so it’s quite a beast of a vegetable! But once you start cooking with celeriac, it’s easy to develop a love affair with this vegetable!
I made this soup as I got inspired by the chef, who mentioned that he had made a celeriac and apple soup a few years back and that it was utterly delicious. And when I went food shopping the other day and saw that the shop had a great price on celeriac so I thought it was a sign that I had to make this soup.
Here I’ve served it with hazelnuts, smoked salmon, smetana and fresh rosemary. The salmon complements the flavours of the soup beautifully, as does the hazelnut. Smetana adds creaminess and help to bring out the combined flavours, and the rosemary is the cherry on the proverbial cake that brings all the flavours together.
It’s quite a filling soup, but you can’t really go wrong with a piece of bread together with soup, so if you have a nice loaf of sourdough bread kickin about at home, have a slice on the side to complete this meal.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- half a head of celeriac (500 g), diced
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 100 g smetana + 2 tbsp extra for topping
- 1 l chicken or vegetable stock
- 50 g smoked salmon
- sprigs of rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp oil on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the celeriac, apples and thyme, and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the celeriac has softened.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth with a hand blender or with a blender.
- Add the smetana, give it a stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When serving, add smetana, hazelnuts, smoked salmon, finely chopped rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil.