A quick and easy beetroot soup with garlic chickpeas! Comes together in 30 minutes and is cost effective, filling and tasty!
I have a thing for beetroot! I been making beetroot burgers, beetroot pesto, beetroot salsa, roasted beets and salads with beets. I now I felt it was time to add a soup to my repertoire of beetroot recipes!
This beetroot soup with garlic chickpeas comes together in 30 minutes, cost hardly anything to make and it is made with seasonal produce! What’s not to like?
I’ve had a soup similar to this with normal garlic croutons, but I like to make this with chickpea croutons instead as it adds a good nutritious boost and it makes the soup more filling!
And beets are pretty good for you too! They are rich in folate, which is a key player in the production of red blood cells, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all the cells in the body and help’s you stay energised and alert! They’re also high in fibre, which can reduce risk for cardiovascular disease and can also promote a healthy gut!
Beets also contain a compound called betanin, which works an as antioxidant and can protect your cells against cell damage! Also, beets may lower blood pressure, due to nitrites naturally found in beets!
So there you have a few more reasons to eat more beets, and why not in the form of this beetroot soup with garlic chickpeas?
- 1 kg beets
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Tin of cooked chickpeas (400g)
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml Smetana (or creme fraiche)*
- 3 tbsp grated horseradish
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel and grate your beetroots. Chop the onions and garlic. Set aside.
- Rinse your chickpeas and pat dry. Place chickpeas in a bowl together with olive oil, garlic powder and salt. Mix thoroughly so all the chickpeas are evenly covered in oil and garlic powder. Place on a lined oven tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring the chickpeas once or twice while they are baking in the oven.
- While the chickpeas are roasting in the oven, start making the soup.
- Fry the garlic and onion in a little bit of olive oil for a minute. Add the beetroot and fry for 5 minutes or so until softened. Add the stock and bay leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until soft.
- Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in a blender.
- Make the horseradish creme by combining smetana, horseradish and salt.
- Serve the soup with a quenelle of horseradish creme, roasted garlic chickpeas and garnish with fresh thyme.